This vegetarian dish is very simple to prepare and perfect for weekday dining. When I first wanted to buy ricotta cheese here in Iceland it was very hard to find… But thank god for Melabúðin (a very small Icelandic grocery) who usually has everything.
2 cloves garlic
1 finely crushed tomato (á 400 ml)
4 tablespoons tomato paste
3 dl water
1 bag frozen spinach leaves (á 400 g)
350 g ricotta cheese
2 dl crème fraiche
1 package of pasta plates (lasagna plates, fresh)
1 packages mozzarella cheese (à 125 g)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Grated parmesan for serving
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic. Fry in 3 tablespoons of oil with tomato puree in a saucepan. Add the crushed tomatoes and water, simmer together about 5 minutes. You can also add some more spice to it, like paprika spice, oregano, cayenne or what you feel for. Just remember to taste.
- Defrost and squeeze the liquid out of the spinach. Mix the spinach with ricotta cheese and sour cream. Salt and pepper.
- Fill the pasta plates with the ricotta batter and roll up into rolls.
- Pour half of the tomato sauce in a roasting pan. Add the rolls in the pan.
- Pour the rest of the sauce and top with crumbled mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the middle of the oven about 20 minutes.
- Serve it with grated parmesan and a nice salad. :)